Built in 1853, the three floors of the Bastion were skillfully crafted using traditional wood working techniques by workers of the Hudson’s Bay Company. Over the years, politics and land deals saw this sturdy wooden fort moved twice. Today it is Nanaimo’s most recognizable landmark.
While the Bastion’s timbers are original, the interior represents activities of the early mining post from 1853 – 1862. Today, this former Hudson’s Bay Company building is a symbol of Nanaimo’s history. The Bastion is a “must see” destination for visitors to Nanaimo.
The Bastion is open 7 days a week from May long weekend through Labour Day. The cannon firing ceremony takes place daily at noon when the Bastion is open. Group tours of the Bastion are available for booking during the off-season.
98 Front Street, Nanaimo BC V9R 5H7