Nanaimo Hospitality Grant
Festivals and events are good for Nanaimo. They bring new money and new interest into the area and contribute to the growth of the entire region. We want to help. We have a grant that you can apply for to support your event. You can download all the documents you need to apply for funding below.
Grant Application Tips
To make sure your grant application can be properly evaluated, here are a few “How to Tips” to get you started.
- Read all grants categories carefully to make sure you’re applying for the appropriate grant.
- Read ALL eligibility requirements carefully before submitting your request.
- Remember that a large part of the Nanaimo Hospitality Association’s focus is to increase the number of nights visitors stay in Nanaimo, so make sure your event gives people a reason to stay over for at least one night.
- In your application, be sure you give us a brief summary of your proposal and tell us how your event will bring people from out of the area to Nanaimo.
- Ensure you understand the difference between Participants and Spectators as grant applicants often mix these up and project incorrect numbers in their applications. These definitions can be found in the Question Preview document, and in the grant application.
On April 1st, 2015 the 24 accommodators who make up the membership of the Nanaimo Hospitality Association began collecting the Municipal and Regional District Tax (MRDT or Accommodation Tax). The purpose of the Accommodation Tax and the associated Nanaimo Hospitality Grants Program is to support the growth of overnight visitation to Nanaimo through the development of festivals and events, including sporting events.
The primary objectives of the Nanaimo Hospitality Grants Program are to:
- Increase the number of new festivals and events, including sporting events, that drive new overnight visitations to Nanaimo.
- Augment the capacity, length and/or quality of existing festivals and events, including sporting events, that drive incremental overnight visitations to Nanaimo.
- Support feasibility studies and tourism projects that look at developing new festivals and events, or improving and expanding current festivals and events, with the goal of driving future overnight visitation to Nanaimo.
Grant Intakes and Evaluation
Applications will be accepted on a continual basis and be evaluated by the Nanaimo Hospitality Association grant review committee every couple of months. The application deadlines for each grant review period are indicated below. Applications will be evaluated based on the event’s ability to generate overnight visitation, economic impact, the organization’s experience to organize and host the event, the organization’s financial need, and the potential to have the event return to Nanaimo. Please apply early so that the grant notification date still falls prior to your event, as grants will not be provided after your event takes place.
|Application Deadline||Application Review Period||Notification of Grant Award|
|October 31, 2019||November 2019||December 1, 2019|
|December 15, 2019||January 2020||February 1, 2020|
|February 28, 2020||March 2020||April 1, 2020|
|April 30, 2020||May 2020||June 1, 2020|
|June 30, 2020||June 2020||July 8, 2020|
|September 30, 2020||September 2020||October 15, 2020|
Step 1: Read and review the 2019 Grant Program Information Guide
Step 2: Determine which Nanaimo Hospitality Grant you are applying for (Festival and Event, Sporting Event or Feasibility Study) and review the appropriate Grant Application Preview Document below. This Preview Document is a replica of the questions that you will be asked in the online application found under Step 3. Feel free to use the Question Preview document as a working document, but please note that applications will only be accepted online, and can be found in the links under Step 3.
- Festival & Event Grant Application Preview
- Sporting Event Grant Application Preview
- Feasibility Study/Tourism Project Grant Application Preview
Step 3: Fill out the online Nanaimo Hospitality Grant application form: